Thursday, August 25, 2005

Love God

Deuteronomy 6:5. NASB95
5 “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."

John 14:21. NASB95
21 “He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

Matthew 6:24. NASB
24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth."
How does Jesus want me to love Him, and, “The Lord my God?” By keeping His commandments. Yes, there is an emotional component to love and obedience. Clearly this is implied in Jesus’s word about the two masters.

Because of my fallen nature, can I love God, with everything I am, all the time? No. I will fail.

If I could, I would not have needed Jesus to die on a cross for me. So then why ask me to do something that neither under the Law nor under grace I could possibly achieve?

First to remind me of my need for a savior. And second, as a promise of what He will do in me, via the work of the Holy Spirit. He will work this in me over the course of my entire life, but it will only be completed when I see Jesus face to face.

Jesus then lets me know that there is a “here and now” blessing to keeping His word: revelation. He will “disclose” (or reveal, manifest, show) me Himself.

Thank you Jesus.