Thursday, August 18, 2005

Announcement, Part 2

Last night, Wednesday, August 17th, I spoke at the church my father-in-law used to attend. The talk itself, or an edited version of it, is at the "link" below.

My father-in-law wanted to come, so we picked him at the nursing home. He is so quiet that we never really have a good idea what he is thinking. The drive takes close to a half hour through some lovely hilly country.

The church is a classic small white building by the side of the road. There were about 25 adults present, and some children who went downstairs.

It went very well. They are lovely, God-fearing, God-loving people and it was an honor to be asked to talk to them. The talk was highly praised, and several were obviously moved (not emotionally, but in that wonderful way when you discover something new about Him.)

I am still not certain what to think about all this. It was first time I had formally presented a "talk" or "sermon" or "teaching" or what ever you (the reader) are used to calling these things.

I have quoted Martin Luther before, "All the works of men, even the most sanctified, are sin." In that I am always going to “sin and fall short of the glory of God,” then I fell short last night. Anything I spoke that the Lord uses to minister to others is still His doing. And everywhere I fell short is mine. I cannot take credit for the blessing. I can only take responsibility for the falling short and ask Jesus to cover my sin in His blood, and to bless the lovely people of Dad’s church.

Link