Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Seeing Jesus: Isaiah 6:1-4

I saw the Lord
Isaiah 6:1-4. NASB95
1 In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple.
2 Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
3 And one called out to another and said,
“Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory.”
4 And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke.

John 12:39-41. NASB95
39 For this reason they could not believe, for Isaiah said again,
40 “He has blinded their eyes and He hardened their heart, so that they would not see with their eyes and perceive with their heart, and be converted and I heal them.” [Isaiah 6:9-10]
41 These things Isaiah said because he saw His [Jesus’s] glory, and he spoke of Him [Jesus].
“I saw the Lord.”

John, in his gospel, specifically declares that the “the Lord sitting on a throne” is Jesus. Very few peopel have been granted this kind of vision.

Usually, I “see” Jesus when I read the word, pray, enjoy fellowship with fellow believers, worship, or by a number of other avenues.

I can “see” Jesus by meditating on His word. For example, I can share Isaiah’s vision of the Lord, “lofty and exalted,” by meditating on that passage. Through Isaiah, I can see the following:

∙ Jesus is the enthroned King, lofty and exalted
∙ Jesus is attended by “burning ones” - the Seraphim
∙ Jesus is surrounded by worship
∙ Jesus is holy (set apart)
∙ Jesus’s glory fills the earth

Because Jesus’s glory fills the earth, I can look for it everywhere.

A glorious vision, indeed, which Isaiah has given the church (and me) to share with him. I can join Isaiah in worshiping Jesus, the risen and enthroned King.