Monday, September 03, 2012

Love... And not a check list


1 John 4:7 (NASB)
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

1 John 4:7 (Amplified)
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is (springs) from God; and he who loves [his fellowmen] is begotten (born) of God and is coming [progressively] to know and understand God [to perceive and recognize and get a better and clearer knowledge of Him].
Do I walk with a motivation of love or of accomplishing things?

Before the judgment seat of Christ (2 Corinthians 2:10), I will have to give account for the "deeds of my body." But will it be for following the checklist in life, for the things I accomplished? Or for being pleasing to Him. That is, did I do what He asked me to do? And did I stop and listen to what He wanted me to do?

It is clear from Jesus's own words that I must do the things that come out of knowing Him (Matthew 7:22-23). Just being prophetic or a teacher is not enough.

It is out of my faith, what I believe, that my works flow. If I know that I have to know Him, my works should show that knowledge, that faith.

If I put my faith in a God who loves, then I shall love. His love is exemplified in Jesus, who gave Himself up for me. If I believe that His love is a "divine and self-sacrificial love," then I will also love with that love.

Labels: ,