Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Washing Peter’s Feet and Forgiveness


John 13:5-10a; 14-15 (NASB)5 Then He *poured water into the basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded. 6 So He *came to Simon Peter. He *said to Him, “Lord, do You wash my feet?” 7 Jesus answered and said to him, “What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter.” 8 Peter *said to Him, “Never shall You wash my feet!” Jesus answered him, “ If I do not wash you, you have no part [“to receive one’s due portion”]  with Me.” ” 9 Simon Peter *said to Him, “Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head.” 10 Jesus *said to him, “He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean...
14 If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. 
Titus 3:5 (NASB)He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit...
How central to my walk with Jesus is forgiving others? It is a question that I should not need to ask myself.  However, it is important to be reminded from time to time how important it is to forgive others. 

I was washed cleaned on the day of my personal salvation. It is finished. I have been bathed clean. But I walk in a fallen world with a fallen culture as a fallen man. I am going to sin. If I say that I have no sin, I am deceiving myself and the truth is not in me. (1 Jn 1:8). I need to regularly, routinely, confess sin to my Savior.  And He will “wash my feet” so that I can be completely clean.

And I need to “wash the feet” of others, freely, without thought. If I don’t, then I have no part with Jesus.

And then there is the ceremonial aspect. In many church traditions, “foot washing” is a regular (or semi-regular) ceremony.  In physically wash someone’s feet, I am declaring before God and man that this person is now clean all over. I can also make that declaration without the physical symbol of foot washing.