Sunday, January 28, 2007

"Me and My Shadow"

Proverbs 4:25
25 Let your eyes look directly ahead
And let your gaze be fixed straight in front of you.

Isaiah 60:1-3
1 “Arise, shine; for your light has come,
And the glory of the Lord has risen upon you.
2 “For behold, darkness will cover the earth
And deep darkness the peoples;
But the Lord will rise upon you
And His glory will appear upon you.
3 “Nations will come to your light,
And kings to the brightness of your rising.” NASB95
God is my light, the light of my soul and my spirit. He is likened to the sun rising. If I look at Him, and His light, my flesh casts a shadow behind me. There is darkness there, but light in Him.

I know that I spend more time looking backward at the shadow (my sins and failings) than I do looking at Him. Ironically, without Him, I would not know my sins at all. The Holy Spirit is the one who searches me and convicts me of sin. And yet, I look more at the results of His searching than at Him who is doing the searching.

Proportionally, I should spend just enough time looking at my sin to say, “Forgive me.” Then the rest of the time at Him who forgave me.

Lord, I end my looking at myself. I end my looking at my sins and failings. Your light casts a shadow, the shadow of my flesh, my failings. I chose not to dwell on that , but to dwell on You and Your words.