Sunday, November 12, 2006

Slander and Gossip

Update: I have been thinking about this topic for a number of weeks. I needed to write it down to clear my head. This did not grow out of Sunday's events, unless you want it to. However, Sunday did trigger the need to get it out of my head.

Proverbs 16:28b. “...And a slanderer separates intimate friends.” NASB

Proverbs 16:28b. “...And a gossip separates close friends.” NIV

Proverbs 16:28b. “...And a whisperer separates close friends.” Amplified

The following is my opinion on how slander operates.

Divided and fractured relationships indicate slander.

In Old Testament terms, a slanderer creates division between the person that he is slandering and the person that he is speaking slander to.

In the New Testament, Jesus has a kingdom. And Satan, the slanderer, has a kingdom.

When one Christian slanders another Christian, he is creating an additional type of division. A slanderer, a gossip, is not standing in the Kingdom of God. He is standing in the kingdom of the devil, the slanderer. He is doing the will of the devil in the Church.

The slanderer, the gossip, the accuser creates division between the person he is talking to and the person he is talking about. He also creates divisions between himself and the people that he is talking to and talking about. He is fracturing his own relationships.

Eventually, that person will only have “deep” relationships with the people who enjoy the gossip and slander. And cliques are born. With everyone else, he will have only surface relationships.

This may be a way of detecting a slanderer when one is not in the “in crowd.” Do I detect “shallowing” relationships? Does the person say he has better relationships outside of the church he is attending than inside?

Note: slander grows out of the flesh, out of fallen human nature. It is identified as a character trait of Satan, but that does not make slander “demonic” in sense that slander must be accompanied by evil spirits. I wish it would. If my skin crawled every time I heard a slander, I would see it easier.

My bible study notes for this are posted as the first comment.