Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Seeing Jesus: Galatians 3:23-26.

Adrian Warnock has issued a "Galatians challenge" (see link below). I am not certain if I want to try to do a sermon series on Galatians. However I am willing to be a "volunteer research assistant." I hope this is helpful.

Galatians 3:23-26. NASB95

23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed.
24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor [literally, “child-conductor”] to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:23-26. Amplified
23 Now before the faith came, we were perpetually guarded under the Law, kept in custody in preparation for the faith that was destined to be revealed (unveiled, disclosed),
24 So that the Law served [to us Jews] as our trainer [our guardian, our guide to Christ, to lead us] until Christ [came], that we might be justified (declared righteous, put in right standing with God) by and through faith.
25 But now that the faith has come, we are no longer under a trainer (the guardian of our childhood).
26 For in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God through faith.
Thoughts:
The word translated here as “tutor” is better translated as “child-conductor” or “guardian.” In wealthier households, the “child-conductor” was a slave whose job was to conduct the child of the house whenever he left the house. The slave did this job until the child reached the age of adulthood. The slave took the young master to his lessons, to the marketplace, to his amusements. Depending on his master, he might only admonish or he could discipline. He was not a “tutor” or a “school-master.”

The law was the law of Moses. It was the code of right living and the interpretations and traditions that men had added to it. It also obligated its followers to animal sacrifice, circumcision, and other external actions.

Therefore, the law of Moses is a slave in the house of my loving Father. He makes me aware of my sin, my falling short, and my need for a savior. His job is to take me by the hand and lead me to Jesus, my Brother. And when he has led me to Jesus, he releases my hand and gives me to my Brother. His job is done. My Brother, by the Holy Spirit, then declares me a child of the Father, free from the sin that the law has shown me, and a fellow-heir with Him. .

Now, I no longer walk led by the Law, by rules and by traditions. Now, I walk with my Lord, by faith, believing in Him.

Link