Wednesday, August 03, 2005

All the works of men, even the most sanctified, are sin.

Martin Luther wrote, “All the works of men, even the most sanctified, are sin.” [see "link" below.] I am not certain if I accept this 100%. However, it does have a heavenly fierceness I admire. I like it because it lays waste to any possibility of pride for one’s accomplishments. With this I can stand with Paul in Romans 7:16-17. NASB95.
16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.

My sanctified “successes” are still sin in the eyes of God. My failures are due to the sin which dwells in me. I sin. I need to confess it. I need refuse to do it again. But the failure is no longer mine.

I have escaped from the trap of success and failure. I do what I know the Lord wants me to do. I read His word, hear godly counsel, listen to the “still, small voice” within. And I obey. But I do not have to worry about failing or succeeding. Sin will cause me to fail, and His grace proclaims His victory over sin.

Link