Monday, August 01, 2005

Self-discipline: gratitude (#1)

“For even though I am absent in body, nevertheless I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good discipline and the stability of your faith in Christ.” Colossians 2:5. NASB95
I have found that in my life, “good discipline” is linked to “the stability of my faith.” The purpose of self-discipline is not the discipline itself. It is merely a means to an end. And here, the end is my walk with Jesus, the stability of my faith in Him. Does it matter I spend time reading God’s word, if I am not looking for Jesus in it? Disciplined Bible reading becomes just a rule to live by if I am not seeing looking for Him in His Word.

Therefore, I must both regularly read the Bible, and regularly look for Jesus in it.

One discipline that I am working on right now is gratitude. I have done this by reading Bible passages about gratitude, meditation on those passages, praying about them, or singing songs of thanksgiving.

What I am going to do here is to put a Bible verse or two on this Blog every few days. I may write about it, or not.

Lord, help me to be grateful for all of the things that You allow into my life. I know that is easy to be grateful for beautiful weather, or a good meal. But You cause all things to work for good, even those things that do not look good when they happen. Thank you.