Thursday, August 20, 2015

Paul's use of tongues

1 Corinthians 14:18 (NASB). I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all...

The Apostle Paul was a man with a mission (the play on words is intended). He was a busy man, and how he used his time was important to him.

He considered travel important, so he did it. He considered teaching important, so he did it. He considered writing important, so he did it. He considered making friends important, so he did it.

He wrote that praying in the Spirit is important because it built up his spirit (1 Cor 14:4). Paul considered that important, so he did it. And, in fact, he considered so important that he prayed in tongues more than any of the Christians at Corinth.

Verses. 
1 Corinthians 14:18 Amplified Bible. 18 I thank God that I speak in [strange] tongues (languages) more than any of you or all of you put together;

1 Corinthians 14:18 Expanded Bible. 18 I thank God that I speak ·in different kinds of languages [or with ecstatic utterance; L in tongues] more than all of you.

1 Corinthians 14:4a (NASB). 4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself....

Labels: ,