Sunday, September 25, 2005

Thinking highly of oneself

Romans 12:3. NASB95. "For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith."
There are things that I know about myself to be true. Some of these things are “good” things (strengths, abilities, giftings). Some of them are “bad” things (faults, failings, sins). Which hinder me more in my walk with the Lord?

Knowing about the bad things tend to produce despair. It is the “mind set on flesh is death” problem.

Knowing about the good things, is also the mind set on flesh. Believing in them is idolatry.

Lord, guard me from my failings and from my strengths. Keep me from thinking highly of myself. Remind me that my strengths are still weaknesses in Your eyes.