Saturday, September 03, 2005

Head Dump: Prayer 3

I can model aspects of prayer to others. I cannot set up all the things that I do as prayer as a standard for others to follow.

Each of us is unique. Yes, we are all made in God’s image. But God’s image is so large, we need to see Him reflected in many people to get more than a glimpse of Him. How I pray is unique to me. It has grown out of my study of the Bible, who has taught me about prayer, what they have taught me, my own praying, how others have modeled praying to me in groups, what my habits are, and, yes, my own faults and failings.

There are so many aspects to prayer: worship, praise, thanksgiving, asking for personal needs, asking for the needs of other, confession of sin, meditation on verses in the Bible, and just plain talking to God about the day. It can be aloud or silent; private or with others; standing, sitting, kneeling, or on one’s face; in a known or unknown language; in anguish, rapture, or peace. I can keep lists of people I am praying for, or trust God to remind me who to pray for, or both.

And all of these are supposed to going on “without ceasing.”

Prayer is more than a single activity, done in a chair at 6:15-6:30 AM. It seems to bear more similarity to a stew than a steak: a whole lot of elements, cooking all day long, rich and nourishing.